|« Rujan 2015 »|
Our school was founded on 24 August 1956. We used to work in six premises and in three shifts untill the school year 1962/63. Only by constructing a new school building could we solve the problem of inadequate accommodation and it was made possible with the donation from our co-citizens. The new school building had 19 classrooms and a gym, and it was officially opened on 28 August 1969. In 1991, during the armed aggression against Croatia, our school was badly damaged by artillery bombardment. On 15 October the roof was hit, the central heating was damaged, the library was demolished, as well as the Geography classroom, the school fence and sports facilities. In December 1991 our students went to Austria accompanied by some of our staff members. The rest of the teachers remained here and were obliged to work for the Red Cross organization. The school year didn't start until 22 January 1992 in the primary school «Ljudevit Gaj» while our school building was being repaired at the same time. Our school started working again on 24 February 1992. The school has changed its name several times. At the beginning it was called «Second people's elementary school». Some time later the name was changed to «Second elementary school». From 29 November 1957 till 14 March 1990 the name of the school was «Milan Tomić Slobodan». Then it was changed into primary school «Mato Lovrak».